Pismo Beach, CA 93449Pismo Beach offers long white beaches for a pleasant stroll or for just enjoying
the spectacular views of the Pismo Beach sunset. Prefer a more active
vacation? You can golf, hit the dunes for four-wheeling ATV's,
horseback riding, surfing, body boarding, or fishing from our 1200-foot
pier. Watch spectacular sunsets from our award-winning boardwalk
adjacent to the pier.
Nearby we offer wine tasting at its best from our local award winning
Adventurous? How about kayaking our surf with proper instructions and
equipment included? Pismo rates as one of the best beaches for surfing.
Bring your own board, or visit the great surf shops within walking
distance for the surf's edge.
Shopping? Pismo Beach provides shopping for every taste, from unique
downtown stores to the Prime Outlets Center which houses some of the
most widely known outlets in this country.
History of Pismo Beach
The History of people at Pismo Beach starts at least 9,000 years ago
with the Chumash Indians, who referred to the area as a place to find
pismu, or tar. The Pismo Beach region has an interesting history going
back in time to 1769, when Don Gaspar de Portola and parties camped in
the area. According to the diary of Costanso, a member of the Portola
party, "The party continued over the sand dunes and then descended to
the beach, along which they walked for several miles before camping for
the night. Near their camping place was an Indian village of some forty
people." Undoubtedly, the beach walked upon by the Portola party was
that known today as Pismo Beach.
The City is part of the original 8,838 acre Rancho Pismo. Rancho Pismo
was granted to Jose Ortega by Manuel Rinemo Goriod on November 18,
1840. Ortega is thought to have built a small adobe which later became
part of the Price Adobe. The rancho was later acquired by Issac Sparks.
Some folktales relate that Sparks won the land from Ortega in a game of
monte, but it appears from records kept by John M. Price, that the
ranch was purchased for 477 head of cattle. Sparks, in 1850, appears to
have given John Price El Pizmo Rancho instead of paying him wages in
gold, as the deed shows a cost of $l for the property.
Upon Spark's death, John Michael Price and Captain David Mallagh
received a share of the land. Price lived and worked on the rancho
until his death in 1902. Price built up sizeable horse and cattle herds
which he moved onto the rancho. Mallagh owned a section of Rancho Pismo
around the cave landing area (now Pirate's Cove) where he established a
wharf business. Price purchased some of the property in 1854. A portion
of the southern part, which is now Grover Beach and Arroyo Grande, was
sold to Francisco Branch. This left him with Shell Beach, Pismo Beach
area and a large section running back into Price Canyon.
In 1875, Price took the first step toward funding the community of
Pismo Beach when he built a hotel on the road from Arroyo Grande to the
People's Wharf in Avila Beach. The hotel was not a success and Price
had the hotel moved to the beach in 1884.
In 1881, Price has leased oceanfront land to the Meherin brothers to
build a wharf and a warehouse. This wharf at the end of Main street was
successful and the hotel's new location was next to this operation. The
school district was founded in 1888, and the post office was also
In February 1886, Price hired R.R. Harris to survey and design a map of
the subdivisions of part of the Ranchos El Pismo and San Miguelito,
also map out and draw a plan for a town to be called "El Pismo." This
was initiated in April 1886. A year later, the Pismo Beach Company
again subdivided part of the community and recorded a map of the "Town
El Pizmo". It is interesting to note that the Pismo Beach Company is
given credit by some for the founding of the present City of Pismo
Back in 1881, Pismo's original wharf opened for business. Taking off
from a point below the present Main Street, remnants of the pilings may
still be seen at very low tides.
It was not planned for recreation as such-- it was a commercial
venture-- designed in part to save freight fees for South County
products. Lumber was received as well as other commodities.
Stock was issued to farmers and landowners for $20 a share and the
wharf was built for $14,613. The Meherin brothers, Arroyo Grande
merchants, started the venture. Most credit is given to D.J. Meherin
for its inception, construction, and maintenance.
In 1882, a year after its completion, Meherin figured the wharf had
saved the people of the county $35,000 in a decrease of freight rates
compared with those of the steamer line they would have patronized.
Thirty-eight vessels were loaded at the wharf in 1882. Two warehouses
were built near the entrance where teams could move cargo in and out. A
small hand car track led out to the end of the pier. The wharf was
still active in 1890, but a few years later it gave way during a heavy
storm. Probably contributing to the disaster was a load of heavy
"bituminous rock" that had been dug in Edna and was waiting in sacks
for shipment to San Francisco to be used as paving material.
The new pier that replaced the original was built in 1924 and was much
longer than it is today. Some can remember driving cars along its
length, then backing out, or using the tight turn around at the end. It
is said that it extended out far enough that Navy ships could tie up
and the men could come ashore.
The pier has sustained damage several times, but a major storm tore up
the south side of the sea wall and about 500 feet off the end of the
pier early in its existence. It was never put back. After a 1983 storm
washed out most of the wharf, it was rebuilt in its present
configuration in 1985-86. The state, county, and city all have an
interest in the pier. The pier at Pismo Beach continues to be one of
the community's major attractions.
John Price realized the potential Pismo had for tourism when he built
the Pismo Beach Hotel. The Pismo Beach Hotel was sold to A.E. Pomeroy
and Charles Stimson in 1887. They enlarged the hotel and renamed it the
El Pizmo Inn. The hotel was sold and resold many times. In early times,
the area was thought of as a place to spend several months, relaxing
and enjoying the surroundings. Early advertisements for the El Pizmo
Inn encouraged visitors to come and enjoy the "fine duck hunting and
the pleasant surroundings."
The 1900's were wild times in Pismo Beach. Pismo was noted for having
many saloons, along with several notorious brothels. Other amusement
type businesses at the time, besides the hotels, offered a variety of
entertainment including a skating rink, a bowling alley, and a dance
The property directly south of Shell Beach now known as Dinosaur Caves,
was the site of an amusement park, with a giant cement dinosaur to
gather attention. H. Douglas Brown started building the dinosaur in
1948 and was stopped by local opposition. The headless dinosaur
remained a local landmark until it was torn down in the late 1950's.
Pismo Beach was also known to be a place to find booze during the
The second El Pizmo Inn was built about the turn of the century and
became so popular that a "Tent City" was erected for the overflow of
tourists. They were clean, well-organized 18' x 14' tents that could be
rented for $8 a week. Resting on wooden planks, the tents were located
where the Clam Digger stands today. Eventually, the "City" was expanded
to where the theater now stands. "Tent City" lasted into the late
The Southern Pacific Railroad also helped tourism in Pismo Beach. It
brought people from the San Francisco Bay area to Pismo Beach in one of
the first "timeshare" operations. The people paid $30, for a ride down
to Pismo Beach, and stayed in the tent city. If they liked the tents,
the Railroad would use their fare to put a down payment on a tent for
the people. If the people didn't like the tent, they were refunded
their money, and returned to San Francisco free of charge. It was
rumored that more people stayed than asked for refunds.
In 1912, Highway 2, today's Highway 101, was routed through Pismo
Beach, giving automobile travelers an easy route to the beach. Highway
101 was not expanded to four lanes until the late 1950's.
|San Luis Obispo|