Atascadero, CA 93423Located in the heart of the Central Coast, Atascadero is halfway
between San Francisco and Los Angeles. Atascadero's central location
provides easy access to the local wine region, coastal beaches and back
roads for bicycling or touring.
ATASCADERO (ah-task-a-dare-oh) a Spanish name which, loosely translated
means "a place of much water," was originally home to the Salinas
In the half century between 1769 and 1823 the Spanish Franciscans
established 21 missions along the California coast, including the
nearby Mission's San Miguel Arcangel, and San Luis Obispo de Tolosa. In 1821, Mexico won its independence from Spain, and California became a Mexican province.
The settling of Atascadero began with the Franciscan clergy who managed the 60,000 acre Rancho Asuncion until 1833, when the Mexican government secularized the mission lands. Governor Rio Pico then granted Pedro Estrada nearly 40,000 acres, part of which would eventually be a portion of the 23,000 acre Rancho Atascadero.
Ownership of 61,000 acres was held, at one time, by Patrick Washington Murphy. Eventually, J.H. Henry became the owner of the Atascadero Rancho.
The community of Atascadero was founded in 1913 as a utopian, planned colony by Edward Gardner Lewis, a successful magazine publisher from the East. He had previously created such a community, at University City, Missouri. After purchasing the Atascadero Ranch in 1912, Lewis put together a group of investors from across the country, paid J.H.
Henry $37.50 an acre, and celebrated acquisition of the Rancho on July 4, 1913.
|San Luis Obispo|